U.S. Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Effective Date: May 7, 2021
e.l.f Cosmetics, Inc. (“e.l.f.”) respects your concerns about privacy. This U.S. Job Applicant Privacy Notice (this “Privacy Notice”) describes the types of personal information we obtain about individuals who apply for jobs with e.l.f. Beauty, Inc., its subsidiaries and its brands (“Job Applicants”). This Privacy Notice does not apply to other websites, applications or services provided by e.l.f. or other affiliated entities or brands.
Personal Information We Obtain
e.l.f. may collect the following categories of personal information about Job Applicants:
- Identifiers: identifiers, such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier (g., a device identifier, employee number, unique pseudonym, or user alias/ID), telephone number, online identifier, internet protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver’s license number, passport number, date of birth, and other similar identifiers
- Additional Job Applicant Data: signature, physical characteristics or description, state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, bank account number, credit card number and debit card number, and other financial information, medical information, and health insurance information
- Protected Classifications: characteristics of protected classifications under state or federal law, to the extent applicable, such as race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, genetic information, disability, citizenship status, and military and veteran status
- Commercial Information: commercial information, including records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, and other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies
- Biometric Information
- Online Activity: Internet and other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, search history, and information regarding your interaction with websites or applications
- Geolocation Data
- Sensory Information: audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, and similar information (including photographs or videos you may provide in connection with your application)
- Employment Information: professional or employment-related information, such as compensation, benefits and payroll information (g., salary-related information, tax-related information, benefits elections and details regarding leaves of absence), information relating to your position (e.g., job title and job description), performance-related information (e.g., evaluations and training), talent management information (e.g., résumé information, occupation details, education details, certifications and professional associations, historical compensation details, previous employment details, and pre-employment screening and background check information, including criminal records information), and emergency contact information
- Education Information: education information that is not publicly available personally identifiable information as defined in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Sec. 1232g; 34 C.F.R. Part 99)
- Inferences: inferences drawn from any of the information identified above to create a profile about you reflecting your preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
How We Use the Personal Information
We use personal information for the purpose of processing job applications, evaluating candidates for employment, and carrying out and supporting HR functions and activities, including as described below.
- Recruiting; processing job applications; performing background checks; determining suitability for employment; determining physical and/or mental fitness for work; reviewing and evaluating applications; determining salary and other forms of compensation; providing references; reimbursing expenses; making travel arrangements; securing immigration statuses; reviewing hiring decisions; and providing access to facilities.
- Ensuring business continuity; protecting the health and safety of our staff and others; safeguarding, monitoring, and maintaining our IT infrastructure, office equipment, facilities, and other property; detecting or preventing theft or fraud, or attempted theft or fraud; and facilitating communication with you and your designated contacts in an emergency.
- Operating and managing our IT, communications systems and facilities, and monitoring the use of these resources; performing data analytics; improving our services; allocating and managing company assets and human resources; strategic planning; project management; compiling audit trails and other reporting tools; maintaining records relating to business activities, budgeting, and financial management; managing mergers, acquisitions, sales, reorganizations or disposals and integration with business partners.
- Complying with legal requirements, such as tax, record-keeping and reporting obligations; conducting audits, management and resolution of health and safety matters; complying with requests from government or other public authorities; responding to legal process such as subpoenas and court orders; pursuing legal rights and remedies; defending litigation and managing complaints or claims; conducting investigations; and complying with internal policies and procedures.
- Performing services.
- Auditing related to a current interaction with you and concurrent transactions.
- Certain short-term, transient uses.
- Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity.
- Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration.
- Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by us, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance the service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by us.
Information We Share
We may share the personal information we obtain about Job Applicants with our parent company, subsidiaries and controlled affiliates for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice. We also may share personal information with service providers who perform services on our behalf based on our instructions. We do not authorize these service providers to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements.
In addition, we may disclose information about you if required to do so by law or if we believe such action is necessary to comply with legal process. We also reserve the right to transfer personal information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a merger, acquisition, joint venture, reorganization, divestiture, dissolution or liquidation).
You may at any time ask us to stop sending you emails or other communications, or request to withdraw your application for employment. To update your preferences or submit a request, please contact us as described in the “How to Contact Us” section below.
How We Protect Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information we obtain against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized access, destruction, loss, alteration, disclosure or use.
Children’s Personal Information
We do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information online from children under the age of 13 in connection with our collection of Job Applicant personal information.
Links to Non-e.l.f. Services and Features
For your convenience and information, we may provide (e.g., on our Careers website) links to or plug-ins of non-e.l.f. websites, apps and services that may be operated by companies not affiliated with e.l.f. The privacy practices of the relevant third parties, including details on the information they may collect about you, is subject to the privacy statements of these parties, which we strongly suggest you review. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of any non- e.l.f. websites, apps or services.
Updates to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice may be updated periodically to reflect changes in our personal information practices. Changes to the Notice will be posted on this page.
How To Contact Us
If you have questions or concerns about this Privacy Notice, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also write to us at:
e.l.f. Cosmetics, Inc.
570 10th Street, 3rd Floor
Oakland, CA 94607
ATTN: Legal Department and HR Department
RE: Job Applicant Privacy Notice
 Please note that all employment arrangements for the e.l.f. Beauty family of brands are operated through our primary operating company, e.l.f. Cosmetics, Inc.